Monday, April 6, 2015

Monasterio de Piedra

Monasterio de Piedro

If you didn't read to the end of my last post, I will restate our exciting news.  We have agreed to extend our mission here in Madrid until April of next year.  It wasn't a difficult decision.  We have loved every moment of our time here in Spain.  We have been so very blessed for our efforts here.  We have a spiritual experience every day.  We learn something every day.  We meet new people every day, and have made lifelong friends that have blessed our lives.  Walking the halls of The Lord's House every day, dressed in white, and feeling His Spirit, is something so special that I cannot express  in words.  

This weekend we were thrilled to hear the words of our General Authorities in Conference.  We get BYU TV in our apartments.  We had to stay up until midnight to see it, but it was well worth it.  I thought the talks were the best I've heard.  There have been several problems that I have been wrestling with for some time now.  I have spent a lot of time discussing these problems with The Lord, and just wasn't able to come to any satisfactory conclusion.  Every issue that I was struggling with was addressed in this conference.  I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who hears our prayers, and knows of our struggles.  If you were unable to watch conference I would strongly recommend reading them online.  I think that many of you may be struggling also, and perhaps haven't found the inspiration you have been looking for.  You may find that inspiration you need in the words of The Lord's servants.
Awhile back we spent the weekend traveling to Monasterio de Piedra.  Most of the missionaries had been there more than once, and talked about it often with great enthusiasm.  We were so anxious to go there that we probably jumped the gun and little bit.  I think another month would have been better so the trees would be green, but it was still so beautiful.  

Since my pictures ended up out of order, I will show you my sunset pictures of this trip first.  We were on the road, and had to pull over so I could try and capture it.  It was just the most beautiful sunset I have seen.






We were driving down the highway and saw a town that looked very interesting.  We decided to get off the road and go see it.  We have discovered some great places this way.




The trouble with Spain is that they NEVER tear a building down, no matter what.  The roof can fall in, the walls crumble, and they just leave it for everyone to enjoy.  So you can have a complete eye sore in the middle of other beautiful buildings.

Those crumbling buildings were across from this beautiful church.


Laundry day.

What drew us to get off the highway were all the steeples rising above this small town.

The Cathedral on the hill.
Stork found a perch.

High above the city was this statue of Christ.  It seemed to be the favorite
 hang out of the storks.  I'm glad they recognize the need to be close to the Savior.
On that same hill was a very pretty Cathedral.




From the hill we could see all the steeples across the city.




We could also see a castle above the city, but couldn't figure out how to get there.


The Monastery.
Part of the Monastery is in ruins.  However, I love ruins.
















Part of the monastery is in good repair and is now a museum of monastery life.






These monks were among the first chocolate manufacturers in Spain.
 This is where they made the chocolate.

You guessed it.  Wine was the other major product they produced.





The main attraction of the Monastery is not the building itself, but the park that surrounds it.
The park is the site of dozens of fantastic waterfalls.  It is about a two kilometer circular hike.





Got a cave?  Put a door on it, and you have a storage room.






This is the architect of the park.
















This cute guy is very secure in his masculinity.  He is always carrying my purse around so  I can have my hands free to take pictures.  His baggy pants shows you how much weight he has lost.














Thick with trout.













The back of water.












































































A beautiful lake we passed on our drive.












Another cute town we drove through.






We had such a great time on this trip, but we are hoping to go back when everything is greener.  I sure wish I was a better photographer so I could better capture the beauty of Spain.  You may just have to come to see it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment