Sunday, September 14, 2014

We Had a Bad Day!

Yesterday was a day from H-E-double hockey sticks!  Greg and I both went to the temple early in the morning looking forward to another great day.  I was the ayudante in the 9:00 am session. The temple was so busy. We had too many people for the 8:00 session, so they had to split it and make an 8:30 session.  So the 9:00 started about 20 minutes late.  Inside the session things just kept going wrong.  I had to leave the room 4 different times to help people, or get help.  Then a woman had a terrible seizure.  We had to call for help, and they were there almost immediately. It really shook everyone up.  Her friends were crying, and it was hard to settle everyone down.  

Then someone opened the door and motioned for me to come out and another woman came in to take my place. I had no idea what would prompt that. When I got out in the hall one of our friends was there, and said I needed to come with him because Greg was sick.  They have a nice little emergency medical place down in the basement.  

It turned out that Greg's morning hadn't gone very well either.  Because of how busy we were, and the extra session, Greg had been running here and there trying to make things work.  He sat down in the vail waiting room for a moment.  One of our friends saw him and said he was soaking wet and white as a ghost.  Greg told him he had a bad pain in his chest and down his arm.  Our friend, Bill Zundell, insisted that he go downstairs and have his blood pressure checked and his blood sugar.  He did and they couldn't see a real problem, but one look at him said he was in big trouble.  They called an ambulance, and that was when they came for me.  

Bill gave him a very sweet blessing, and then he was taken to the hospital. I wasn't able to ride with him, so our friends, the Hawkins, came with me in a cab.  The cab driver told us that the hospital we were going to was the best hospital in the city, if not all of Spain.  He said it was the oldest hospital also, but they had the best equipment and best doctors.  As it turned out, it's a teaching hospital, and has excellent care.  

When we arrived we were told that Greg had a heart attack. Greg thinks it actually happened in the ambulance. We were told that they were taking him right into surgery where they would be putting in a stint. They said it should only take about 30 minutes.  

An hour and a half later, the doctor came to the waiting room.  Dave Hawkins was prepared to translate for me, but the doctor spoke very good English. He said that Greg had 3 of the 4 arteries blocked completely. They put 2 stints in at that time.  He said they would wait a couple of days and do the third.  I got to see him about an hour later.  

He looked like he had been pulled through a knot hole, but ever so much better than before. He was getting some color back, and feeling much better.  They only let me stay a few minutes. We went home, and then returned in the evening where I could stay for an hour.  

While I was there in the evening another cardiologist came in and said that we were very fortunate.  There was only minor damage done to his heart, and that they will do the other procedure on Monday.  We were told that if all goes well on Monday, he may be able to come home on Tuesday. They thought it would only be 2-4 weeks before he was back on his feet and good as new.  They also thought the damage would heal completely.  

Greg looked very good this afternoon.  He is in good spirits, and happy as can be that he's alive and doing well.  I can't even say how very blessed we feel.  We had planned to take a little trip up to the north coast as soon as we got out of the temple Saturday. If this had happened on the road and far from a hospital I have no doubt I would be a widow today.  Being in the temple, surrounded by strong priesthood holders, and close to the best cardiac unit around saved his life. 

 I am grateful beyond measure. I know, without doubt, that we are being watched over.  I have felt the love of God in a way I can't express in words.  All the temple missionaries joined in prayer last night for Greg, and have been very kind and helpful to me.  I don't feel alone at all. It looks like we will be able to remain here in Spain, which was Greg's biggest concern.  Life is so good!

On another note, Emily is finally out of the hospital. She seems to be doing well, but we had some scary news.  They ran a blood test on her that came back positive for cancer.  I am hoping and praying with all my heart that it is a false positive.  They are going to give her pancreas time to calm down, and then do an endoscopy.  If necessary they will do a biopsy.  I have faith that The Lord has the situation under control, but I would appreciate so much the prayers of everyone for Emily and her family.  

I think that is enough for one post.  I just want to say how much we love our family.  We miss you all, and pray for you daily.  Our testimonies grows constantly as we feel the spirit, and experience the miracles in our lives.  We love the temple so much.  We love the spirit we feel there.  We love the beautiful principles taught there.  We love to see the difference it makes in people's lives as they come to the temple weighed down with the cares of the world, and leave with big smiles, and a countenance of peace.  We love this gospel with all our hearts, and love our Heavenly Father, who is constantly looking out for our good.  Please take good care of yourselves. We would love to hear from you all by way of emails, letters, or phone calls. Squeeze all the kids for us!


3 comments:

  1. I was talking with my dad today and he told me about uncle Greg. Im so sorry for the scare and health problems but grateful he is going to be ok! I had no idea Emily may have cancer. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't check in everyday, most but not everyday but felt compelled to check today.
      I think I have finally figured this blog thing out.
      I had concerns when you both said you were going to Spain and for such a long time, you just never know.

      Trina and I are so thankful that the day really could not have turned out better considering what Greg and you went through.
      Trina and I will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers and know all will have a good outcome. Just shocking a bit when you hear what came about and how well it was handled.
      You both take care and we'll keep in touch. If this doesn't work for me then back to email...
      Miss you both...
      john and Trina

      Delete