Sunday, July 26, 2015

Santillana Del Mar, and Camillas



Santillana Del Mar, Comillas
and The North of Spain

Our last trip with the Deschamps and Hawkins.
Northern Spain is so beautiful!!  It is lush and green, and reminds
 me a lot of Germany and Switzerland.
Our first stop was a return to Covadonga.

Our hotel.  Not as great as last time, but adequate.

The Basilica.
We were hoping for more of a waterfall, but at least it was more than last time.


Inside the cave.
The Basilica in the background.








Don Pelayo, looks a lot like Nephi.




Cangas de Onis

When we arrived I realized I had lost something important, so Greg left us here
and he went back to look.  I'll tell you the whole story later in the blog.
Market day.





















Greg came back unsuccessful, so he and I left the others and went back together.
We met up with them at one of the many pretty beaches on the north coast.


When the tide is in this church is surrounded by water.
Ribadesella

Of course, we had to have one more sea glass adventure together.
 I was excited to have chosen the best sea glass beach in Spain.
Santillana del Mar, my favorite place in Spain.
They call this the town of three lies.
Not Santo
Not Llana
and No Mar.
Still it is the cutest town ever, and very similar to the Cotswolds in England.


The front yard of our darling BandB.




The back yard.

I would guess these stairs are not used often.



This darling and comfortable place was $30 Euros a night, including breakfast.
The view from our window. I will come back to Santillana later.
Playa de Santa Justa.
A little hermitage was built into the costal mountain cave.




More of Santillana.










Even in Santillana.



A museum in Santillana.












Part of the Torture Museum.
Just your size Dave.
Greg's most common pose.


The fab four!












The Three Amigos
Country life.

Comillas






We went to see the Gaudi mansion.  He built this home in his early career.


Pretty far out.
Hanging out with Gaudi, admiring his work.



Now, I do love this balcony.













OK, this is a long story.  When we were in Covadonga I had a dream.  In this dream I left my purse somewhere.  When I finally found it my 300 euros were gone.  I woke up so frustrated and immediately told Greg about it.  Within a few hours I realized I had lost my purse.  We spent the next few hours looking for my purse.  Amazingly, we finally got a line on it.  The police said that a woman at the information booth had the purse.  We went to the booth, and no one was there.  So Greg approached some of the boys from the choir (Spain's answer to the Vienna Boys Choir in Covadonga) and offered them a "fiver" for the first boy that could locate the woman.  Within minutes they came back dragging along the woman.  Everything was in tact, except the 300 euros I had just taken out of the bank.  I was disappointed, but happy that I had all the other things in my purse, like our passports, IDs, keys etc.  Now I had a fantastic warning, but quickly forgot all about it.  The rest of the story is that this was the third time I had left my purse somewhere.  The other times I had been very fortunate in finding everything in tact.  I guess I deserved this one.  However, Randy and Dave teased my mercilessly until the day they left for home.  This picture was for their benefit.  Yes, I still have my purse. I am guarding it very carefully, while Greg reminds me often.

Lerma
We saw this town from the freeway, and it looked very interesting.  We decided to take a look.












We had a wonderful time, but it was bitter sweet knowing it was the 
last trip we would have with our dear friends.  It was a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment