Sunday, February 8, 2015

Long Time No Write

It has been quite awhile since I have written anything that is not a travel blog.  In fact, I haven't written a travel blog in awhile either. However, it is somewhat difficult to express in this forum the mission that we are serving here.  Working in the temple is such a deeply sacred experience, and so very personal that there is not much we can share in an open manner, if at all.  

Each day we arrive at the sacred House of The Lord, and work together to provide a special experience for those who come seeking the Spirit of The Lord, and strength to carry forward in their lives.  They are looking for answers to their struggles, comfort in their trials, and knowledge of God's plan for them.  It is such an important work that we do, and a great responsibility.  We are overwhelmed with the spirit we feel there, and the great love we feel for those who walk in the doors of the temple.  It is a daily reconfirmation of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  

The Madrid Temple is an exceptionally special temple.  There is a spirit here that cannot be described.  It is tangible.  Incredible things happen here, and lives are changed everyday. We have had so many experiences here that have changed our lives forever. We have met people that have touched us deeply with their humility, and sacrifice, and joy in the gospel. Miracles happen here.  We have seen so many, and have been the recipients of many.  It is not possible to express the gratitude we feel for the privilege of being here.  

This Temple has special challenges for those who work here.  It is so different than working in any temple in the US.  The greatest challenge comes from lack of workers.  The missionaries are the only ones we can actually count on being in attendance at the beginning of each shift.  Anyone else who comes is icing on the cake.  Every single person is greatly needed and appreciated.  This challenge has been a blessing as well.  It has taught me so much.  I have learned to be very flexible and to make quick adjustments to meet the needs of the moment.  I have also learned to trust in The Lord.  After all, He is in charge, and there is nothing that He cannot accomplish.  More often than not, I am completely amazed and grateful that it all worked out, and am in awe of Heavenly Father's willingness to make up the difference when we let Him down.  

Other challenges are cultural.  Every week people from another area of Spain, Portugal, France or Italy, leave their homes for nearly a week, and travel long distances to be here.  They stay here in the hostel on Temple Square.  It is not an easy stay for them.  Most of them are in dorm like accommodations with men in one area and women and children in another.  Husbands and wives are separated in order to fit more people in.  They have a common kitchen to prepare their meals.  The single sister missionaries, unfortunately, are living on the same floor as the common area for the hostel.  With so many children, and no place for them to play, they run wild up an down the halls until late at night.  Europeans traditionally eat dinner very late.  That means they are up, as well as their children, until around midnight.  The single sisters are not getting much sleep.  It is very hard on some of them.  On top of that, the children play on the elevator all the time.  That means that it takes a long time to get to our floor, as well as the fact that is broken down very often.  

These brothers and sisters come to the temple to spend the day, every day they are here.  They don't come to do one or two sessions.  They come to do 5 or 6 or more sessions each day, every day.  Their dedication is amazing.  Many of them are elderly, and in poor health.  It doesn't stop them from doing what they came to do.  However, in their efforts to fit in as many sessions as possible, they are sometimes creative in fitting in lunch.  Some of them will fill their pockets with food and eat during the session.  We've had them pull out sandwiches, cereal, nuts etc. We also have a little trouble separating them from their telephones.  We have actually had people get calls during a session, and answer it.  Many of them still have a lot to learn about temple etiquette. 

So many people are quite new to the church.  Actually, Spain is relatively new to the church.  With the strong Catholic background most of them have, they are still learning our ways of doing things and the process can be slow for some.  But their spirit is strong and their willingness to learn is great. The love they feel for The Savior is so evident, and I find it very inspiring.

Yesterday was Saturday.  What is significant about Saturday, is that if you are on the afternoon shift, you come in at 1:00pm instead of 2:00.  One day has a tendency to blend into another here.  So yesterday Greg went to the grocery store before our shift.  I didn't realize he wasn't aware of what day it was.  He got a little carried away and stayed out longer.  One o'clock came and he wasn't home.  So I left him a note, and went to the temple without him.  When I got there the chapel was so bare.  It turned out, Greg wasn't the only one who forgot what day it was.  Our ranks grew at 2:00, thankfully. It is so easy to get disoriented.  I have a funny story about that.

Awhile back we were on the early shift.  I rarely take a nap during the day, because I then can't sleep at night.  But one Wednesday, after coordinating, I was really exhausted, and decided to lay down for a short nap.  After awhile Greg decided to take this time to go get a haircut.  Three hours went by, and it was dark outside.  The phone rang, and I looked at the clock, and it said 6:15.  I looked around and Greg wasn't anywhere is sight. I was panicked, because I usually get up at 5:45 in the morning and I was obviously late.  I ran to answer the phone and it was President Somoza.  He wanted to talk to Greg, but I couldn't find him anywhere, and was very confused.  So President Somoza got Brother Calderon, the temple recorder who speaks English, to talk to me.  He said that President Somoza wanted us in the temple early the next morning because we had the MTC missionaries coming in for an extra early session and they needed all the English speakers they could get.  Well, I knew that the MTC missionaries come in every Thursday morning, but that was THIS morning.  "Don't you mean today?"  "No,"  he said.  "I mean Thursday."  "Today is Thursday."  I said. "Today is Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday," he said. "No, today is Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday," I said.  "I'm positive.  I coordinated on Wednesday, yesterday, and that makes today Thursday."  He then sweetly said, "Sister Waite, I can assure you that today is Wednesday, tomorrow is Thursday and the day after that is Friday."  I finally gave up and said OK, and went in to get ready for the temple, still wondering where Greg was.  About that time he walked in with his new haircut, and I suddenly realized it was 6:15 PM, not AM.  I was so embarrassed!  I told Greg what had happened, and asked if he would call back Brother Calderon and explain what happened.  He called him, and as soon as Greg told him who he was, he said, "Don't tell me, your wife was taking a nap and thought it was morning instead of the same night.  I have done that myself."  Brother Calderon and I now have a running joke about what day it is.

Along those same lines I have another funny story.  The Hawkins and the Deschamps went on a weekend trip with us.  We all went to bed and had plans to meet the next morning for an excursion. Dave Hawkins woke up and looked at his watch.  It said 6:20, so he quickly woke up Charlotte, and said it was time to get going.  She jumped up, even though she felt she had just gotten to sleep.  They both showered and got dressed, ate breakfast, and then looked at the clock.  It was now 2:50.  Dave had looked at the clock wrong.  Charlotte had just gotten to sleep.  She was not pleased!

The language .... well, its coming, poco a poco. I pray constantly that The Lord will bless me with a memory. I think I could use more prayers.  But I am getting better, though slightly.  I am understanding more, and able to say more, and communicate a little better all the time.  Our time here in Spain is going by so quickly that I don't hold out much hope for the kind of progress I had wanted. I will continue to work on it, though.  One of my goals for this new year is to read the Book of Mormon all they way through in Spanish.  It is proving very difficult, but I am seeing more and more understanding as I inch my way through it.  

Speaking of The Book of Mormon,  I have been able to read it through in English twice since we arrived in Spain.  It has strengthened my testimony so much!  How I love this book!  I can so clearly see The Lord's plan for us.  It also amazes me how I can see the prophesies of so long ago coming to pass.  It is heartbreaking to see how much The Lord is offering us if we will only do His will, and how so many of us are unwilling.  His will is for us to have lasting happiness.  Everything he asks us to do is for our happiness, yet so many think they know better than God what will bring lasting happiness.  We are like small children who cannot see the big picture. Reading the scriptures gives me more understanding, more determination, more inspiration, more clarity, more hope, more comfort, more love of others, more patience, more peace, and more happiness.  I would plead with all my children and grandchildren to once more, prayerfully, and sincerely read The Book of Mormon.  If you have read the beginning dozens of times, and then given up, start with Mosiah.  Read the incredible sermon of King Benjamin, and contemplate how you can apply his words in your life.  Then continue on,  and come to understand what honor means.  Come to understand what real sacrifice is.  Learn where happiness is found.  Learn what integrity is.  Gain hope and peace in the Savior.  I would love it if you would do this, and then share your thoughts with me.

A week ago we had a beautiful granddaughter join our family.  Tiger Lily Moffat was born to Molly and Scott on January 24th.  It was such a relief to have her arrive safely. She is beautiful and healthy, and Molly is doing well.  We are so blessed to have this big wonderful family.  I am hoping and praying for lots of pictures.  She will be a year old by the time we see her. It is so hard to be away during these special times.  We love them so much, and miss them dearly.

Greg and I are happy, healthy, and enjoying every moment of our mission.  It isn't always easy, but it is always worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment