Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week 2 in Madrid

We have had a very good week in Madrid.  I think we are gaining stamina and I am definitely gaining knowledge.  My Spanish has improved this week.  I feel confident in the ordinances, and am hoping to start on Portuguese and Italian soon.  I am getting a lot of practice and I feel the help of The Lord.  I even had a short conversation or two this week.  I struggle a lot with understanding people. I can understand the Hispanics much easier than the Spaniards. I'm not sure my ear will ever adjust to them.  It's like trying to understand the Scots but much worse.  But I'm gaining confidence in speaking. 

I am so impressed with the devotion of the people in this temple district.  So many people travel from all over, and devote a full week to temple work.  Some do as many as 6 endowment sessions a day, as well as initiatories and sealings. They are so sweet and humble and are so grateful to be in the temple. I have such a feeling of love for these people.  I get attached to them and then I'm  sad to see them go at the end of the week. Each day they leave the temple I get so many hugs and kisses from these devoted, hard working, and very loving people. It is deeply rewarding to be part of this work.  It is also amazing to me how smoothly the temple runs with so few temple workers.  I would have thought it impossible.  It just goes to show how The Lord will not let His work be thwarted.

Greg and I and Anna Mancini took the bus tour of Madrid last Monday. We had a really great time and got to see a lot of the city.  It is such a beautiful city!  The architecture, the monuments, the parks, the museums, the homes, the churches, all have the wonderful old world feel and beauty.  We are anxious to spend time to see it all before we leave this place.  The people are very warm and friendly.  We plan to spend an evening or two this week in the Prado museum.  We found out that in the evenings between 6:00-8:00 it is free to get in. So when we work mornings and have our evenings free, we will take advantage of it and maybe get around to all the rooms eventually.  

On the 4 th of July we had a fun party.  We started after the temple closed at 9:00 pm. so we were all a little tired, but it was great to get together and celebrate our country of birth.  Even some of the Spanish workers joined us and it was a great time.  Everyone brought snacks, and The President brought root beer and ice cream.  We all tried to wear red, white and blue.  We sang patriotic songs and and enjoyed our time together. I'm not sure if it made me less homesick or more homesick.  But I'm grateful for America, and hope that the constitution hangs in there for us to enjoy the sacrifice that was made to create our great country and our freedoms.  

We're so happy to be here in Madrid, and grateful for the opportunity to learn, and grow and serve.  Greg and I are growing stronger physically, stronger in the gospel, and stronger as a couple.  It has always been our dream to serve a mission together.  It's still hard to believe the time has come.  We are so very happy.  We miss our family, and want you all to know how much we love you, and are grateful for your emotional support.  Each one of you are in our prayers, and we know The Lord will bless you according to your efforts. He has certainly blessed us, and we are so grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment