Friday, May 22, 2015

Gran Canaria, Again




Gran Canaria, Again

Two weeks ago we spent the weekend on Gran Canaria Canary Islands with the Hawkins and the Deschamps. 
OK, I've gone a little overboard here, but I just couldn't get over how
 colorful this beach was.  It was a sea of umbrellas, and a magnificent sight.

 As far as the eye can see. 


 There was another part of the beach that was rocky with very little sand.  No one was on that side, except us.  It was the very best sea glass beach, probably in the world.  We could not pick it up fast enough.  Sylvia and Charllotte are Olympians of sea glass hunting.  Charlotte went home with 27 pounds of beautiful glass!  Sylvia's weight was probably similar.  I got somewhere between 5 to 10 pounds.  I didn't even know what sea glass was before I got to Spain.  Now they have me addicted.  Charlotte says you can usually find about 3-5 pieces in an hour on a good beach.  We were able to pick it up by the handfuls on this beach.  Between us all we carried off about 60 pounds of glass, and did not by any means clear the beach.  I didn't get a picture because my hands were full.
Neptune
Las Palmas is a very pretty city.  The rest of the island is pretty much a desert.

 Cute little church.  One of many in town.







This is Christopher Columbus's house.  I didn't realize that he had lived in Las Palmas.
Still part of his house.
Still ...
his house.  Pretty impressive.  Very old.

 Christopher Columbus is Cristobal Colon.


Another tiny chapel.

Flower baskets line the streets.


These beautiful purple trees were everywhere.




We had such a great time in Gran Canaria.  We had been there last
 January, but what a difference a few months make!

No comments:

Post a Comment