Sunday, August 10, 2014

How I Love This Mission!

We just got back from church.  Attending church here is such a testimony builder.  I have no idea what is being said, yet I can certainly feel The Spirit when those who speak are speaking truth.  

We finished our first week on the new shift. We do miss our friends on our original shift, but have really enjoyed getting to know new friends.  All the missionary couples and singles here are really outstanding people. They are kind, knowledgable, interesting and fun.  They have taught me so much, and really motivate me, and encourage me. 

The best assignment I received this week was attending a bride.  They have the same law here as they do in England (and probably throughout most of Europe) where you cannot be legally married in the temple.  You must be married in a public place first, so that anyone objecting to the marriage could come in and say so.  Therefore, the couples coming into the temple to be sealed are already married. Many of them come straight from the church to the temple if they live closeby. If they live a long distance they come in as soon as possible. This particular couple was from Cadiz, at the furthest southwesternly part of Spain.  She was a really beautiful girl (reminded me a lot of Emily) and she just glowed with goodness and happiness. She had served a mission in England, and spoke English very well.  That was fortunate for me, since I speak so little Spanish. It was such fun to spend a few hours with her, and the guests that came from Cadiz to witness the sealing. I was also invited into the sealing room with them. The very sweet man who performed the sealing was really special.  Again, with me not understanding anything that was said, I felt the strongest spirit, and for just a few short minutes, I became a part their family.  I think the sealer must have had a very strong connection to the couple as his tears were really flowing, along with most of the people in the room. Attending brides, and witnessing the making of eternal families, has to be the best job ever!  Just as a side note, we have the most beautiful brides room in the Madrid Temple.

We had some very fun get-togethers this week.  The Zundels invited the missionaries from our new shift over to their apartment for ceviche, after work one night. The Zundels are a special couple. He is a hostage negotiator for people who are kidnapped and held for ransom around the world.  They were living here in Spain when they were in a very serious motorcycle accident.  She was severely injured and hospitalized for a long time in Valencia.  The members there visited her every day, and took such wonderful care of her.  When she was recovered they decided they wanted to do something to help the members in Spain.  So they moved to Madrid, got an apartment near the temple and became full time temple workers. They're  really wonderful people and we are very blessed to know them. 

Anyway, for those who don't know what ceviche is, it is a white fish that is cooked and marinated in lime juice, cilantro, and fresh tomatoes.  It is served cold, and kind of like a shrimp cocktail. It is very popular here in Spain.  A couple of other missionaries have contests on making the best salsa.  So we also had chips and salsa.  We took the drinks. There is a really good drink here that is basically a sparkling grape juice. Someone added some amazing olives, and we had a party. It was great fun.

The next night the men got together and decided they wanted Chinese food after work.  The wives decided they would join them so they could get "dinner for eight." We walked down the road to our favorite Chinese place and had dinner for 8 at about 10:00 pm.  That is when the town just starts to come alive. People eat so late here. Most restaurants wont even open until 9:00pm.  "Dinner for eight" is amazing!  There is so much food and it was outstanding.  I feel like a real European now having had dinner so late two nights in a row. But I don't really recommend late night dining on a regular basis. 

Last night we went to a really great Italian place with the Hawkins. We got an earlier start since we get off from the temple at 7:00 on Saturdays when we are on the late shift. So we got there about 8:30 and were the first customers of the evening.  I had the best pasta dish I've ever had. I can't remember the name of the pasta, but they are like little purses stuffed with the best cheese, pears, pepper, and I don't know what else, in a wonderful creamy yellow sauce with small sautéed cherry tomatoes. It was fantastic!  I'm all about food, if you didn't know.

My fibromyalgia has been flared since I got here, and I have been in a lot of pain, and really struggle to get out of bed in the morning.  I have been so grateful for the late shift two weeks in a row. But now we will be on the early shift this week.  I am NOT a fan of early mornings!  As it turns out there are two other sisters here with fibromyalgia.  They have told me about some supplements that have given them back their lives and I am going to try them. Karen Schellenberg says her sister sends them to her, and she will get them for me as well.  They are very pricey but if they work it will be worth it.  This darn fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue is the only fly in my ointment over here.  

We are so loving our mission!  I can't even express the joy I feel from being here, working in the temple, and serving The Lord. Working in the temple has to be the best assignment a missionary can have. There is a feeling there like no other.  The peace and comfort there is tangible. I can feel the love that God has for us, so strongly.  The people who come here to experience that are so humble.  I can see how anxious and excited they are to come into the temple. If I'm assigned to the entrada, most of the sisters who come in will give me a kiss on both cheeks just out of their happiness and excitement to be here.  There is a real feeling that people here recognize what a special place this is.  They are so grateful for the opportunity.  They come from long distances, spending all week here, and working all day long, every day.  Their dedication is amazing.  Handicaps, illnesses, whatever, it doesn't stop them.   
I have a whole new appreciation of what the temple can do for people. I think the greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. I have never seen happier people than those who leave the temple after a week of devoted service.  I feel so privileged to witness that daily.  It is a constant high for us to see what the gospel does for people. We had a Stake from Southern France here all week. Greg got to speak a lot of French every day. 

That about sums up our week.  I hope all of you at home are doing well, and that life is being good to you. I have been told that the comment part of our blog isn't working. Since we would love to hear your comments, we recommend that you send an email instead. Use my address: Elizabethw8@mac.com


No comments:

Post a Comment